Excellence In Wine, Spirits And Sake Education Since 1977
COVID - 19 Update
January 5, 2022
Ontario Temporarily Moving to Modified Step Two of the Roadmap to Reopen
What this means for the Independent Wine Education Guild
In response to recent trends that show an alarming increase in COVID-19 hospitalizations, the Ontario government, in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of Health, is temporarily moving the province into a modified Step Two of the Roadmap to Reopen.
These measures will take effect on January 5 at 12:01 am and will remain in place for three weeks, until at least January 26.
The health and safety of our students, instructors and employees remains our top priority. IWEG continues to follow government and public health directives, adapting our plans and delivery
model as required.
With the new directives in place the following operational procedures will be implemented immediately:
- For the winter 2022 semester: all classes originally scheduled to be delivered in-person will be delivered via the Zoom video conferencing platform.
- In-person learning and exams: in-person classes and exams scheduled to be held at IWEG’s location will now begin after January 26 or when we are permitted to do so. Please note that if your course is scheduled to start earlier than January 26, classes will be held via Zoom until in-person learning commences again. IWEG has already put in place a mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for all in-person tasting workshops, examinations and classes.
- WSET online courses: all WSET online courses, delivered through the WSET Global Campus, remain unchanged and will proceed as scheduled for the winter 2022 semester.
- Remote invigilation examinations: remote invigilation examinations for WSET Levels 1 and 2 Awards will continue as planned for the winter 2022 semester.
- Diploma Exams on January 19: these exams are not permitted to be held on January 19. All candidates have their exams automatically deferred to the next WSET global exams date:
- D1 and D2: March 9, 2022
- D4 and D5: June 7, 2022
- Student support: our staff are here to help support, as best we can, students and instructors. Please note that all of our staff continue to work remotely, as much as possible, and should be contacted by email.
All winter 2022 courses and educational activities will be delivered with a focus on safety and according to public health and government requirements. If different protocols are put in place by public health or government officials, we will adapt our plans as necessary. We will continue to keep you updated on what you can expect for your overall student experience at the Independent Wine Education Guild.
Why Study at the Independent Wine Education Guild?
The Independent Wine Education Guild is the original and only Canadian school to offer all programs and qualifications of the Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET) - including the flagship WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wine program - leading to internationally recognized certification in Wine, Spirits and Sake.
WSET programs, widely considered the gold standard in wine education, are now offered in more than seventy countries across the globe. IWEG is the recipient of the prestigious WSET Lifetime Achievement Award for spearheading establishment of the WSET programme in Canada and for excellence in wine and spirit education since 1977.
We also offer Wine Scholar Guild's French Wine Scholar (FWS), Italian Wine Scholar (IWS) and Spanish Wine Scholar (SWS) courses, as well as Wines of Chile and Wines of Portugal Academy certification. Our unique Ontario’s Brave New Wines course, developed in conjunction with Ontario Craft Wineries, leads to Ontario Wine Specialist certification.
Our scheduling is diverse and flexible, offering in-class or online study; day or evening classes; and condensed or less intensive formats as well as custom corporate programming.
With over forty years of operation, the Independent Wine Education Guild is passionate about helping our students achieve their personal or professional goals. Our instructors are first and foremost professionally trained educators, as well as subject-area experts, dedicated to student engagement and success. Many of our WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wine (and Spirits) graduates have progressed to assume leadership roles in the Drinks and Hospitality industries in Canada.
We have higher than global average pass rates for WSET courses, and offer a unique student experience, including, proprietary study aids, the availability of study scholarships and field trips made possible by our Sponsors and trade partners, and a host of monthly networking events and sought after master-classes at the school.
We welcome the opportunity to help you find the right course for your needs. Explore our website or contact us to discuss opportunities that meet your needs and goals.
Give the gift of knowledge! Personalized Gift Cards available under Courses.
IWEG is a Canadian Registered Charity with Business Number 10808 4682 RR0001. Courses offered are HST exempt and tuition tax receipts are issued annually.