Excellence In Wine, Spirits And Sake Education Since 1977
COVID - 19 Update
June 7, 2021
Ontario to Move to Step One of Roadmap to Reopen on June 11, 2021
What this means for the Independent Wine Education Guild
The Ontario government announced today that it will move the province into Step One of its "Roadmap to Reopen" at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, June 11, 2021. Please read the full announcement here.
The health and safety of our students, instructors, partners and staff continues to be our top priority.
In response to the provincial government's announcement, please read our Reopening Plan 2021
which details how we will resume school operations, when we are permitted to do so.
Meanwhile, the following operating procedures will continue to be implemented:
- Online / remote delivery of courses and classes: all WSET online courses, as well as remote delivered courses via the Zoom videoconferencing platform, remain unchanged and will proceed as scheduled for the spring semester 2021.
- Remote invigilation examinations: remote invigilation examinations for WSET Levels 1 and 2 Awards will continue as planned for the spring semester 2021.
- All in-person examinations, as well as tasting workshops, which are part of our "blended” delivery model, will be re-scheduled to opportune dates in the summer and fall. Our staff will reach out to all students impacted by these changes with the provision of proposed new dates.
- Please note that these examinations and workshops will not be cancelled. We will re-schedule and deliver these at a future time when government orders, public health guidelines and the pandemic situation allow us to do so safely.
- Our staff are here to help support, as best we can, students and instructors during these challenging and unprecedented times. Please note that all of our staff are working remotely and can be contacted by email.
- In keeping with the recommendations of public health and government authorities, there may be future changes to our operating procedures that we may be required to implement. Any new information will be shared with the the Independent Wine Education Guild's community on a timely basis as decisions are made and communicated to us.
Lastly, we take this opportunity to thank you all for your continued support, encouragement and patience as we navigate as best we can through these uncharted waters.
Why Study at the Independent Wine Education Guild?
The Independent Wine Education Guild is the original and only Canadian school to offer all programs and qualifications of the Wine & Spirits Education Trust (WSET) - including the flagship WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wine program - leading to internationally recognized certification in Wine, Spirits and Sake.
WSET programs, widely considered the gold standard in wine education, are now offered in more than seventy countries across the globe. IWEG is the recipient of the prestigious WSET Lifetime Achievement Award for spearheading establishment of the WSET programme in Canada and for excellence in wine and spirit education since 1977.
We also offer Wine Scholar Guild's French Wine Scholar (FWS), Italian Wine Scholar (IWS) and Spanish Wine Scholar (SWS) courses, as well as Wines of Chile and Wines of Portugal Academy certification. Our unique Ontario’s Brave New Wines course, developed in conjunction with Ontario Craft Wineries, leads to Ontario Wine Specialist certification.
Our scheduling is diverse and flexible, offering in-class or online study; day or evening classes; and condensed or less intensive formats as well as custom corporate programming.
With over forty years of operation, the Independent Wine Education Guild is passionate about helping our students achieve their personal or professional goals. Our instructors are first and foremost professionally trained educators, as well as subject-area experts, dedicated to student engagement and success. Many of our WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wine (and Spirits) graduates have progressed to assume leadership roles in the Drinks and Hospitality industries in Canada.
We have higher than global average pass rates for WSET courses, and offer a unique student experience, including, proprietary study aids, the availability of study scholarships and field trips made possible by our Sponsors and trade partners, and a host of monthly networking events and sought after master-classes at the school.
We welcome the opportunity to help you find the right course for your needs. Explore our website or contact us to discuss opportunities that meet your needs and goals.
Give the gift of knowledge! Personalized Gift Cards available under Courses.
IWEG is a Canadian Registered Charity with Business Number 10808 4682 RR0001. Courses offered are HST exempt and tuition tax receipts are issued annually.