French Wine Scholar WSG
French Wine Scholar
An in-depth specialist certification focused on the diverse wines and wine regions of France. The French Wine Scholar™ program is an official certification and course of study designed by the Wine Scholar Guild to provide current, accurate information on all of the wine regions of France and validate proficiency in the wines and wine regions of France.
Prerequisite: None. However, WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits is recommended, and WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is preferred. Expect to spend 25 hours of preparation and review over the duration of the course outside of classroom hours.
This 20-hour course provides detailed coverage of French AOC wines, as well as an introduction to French history, geography, viticulture and winemaking. You will:
- Develop specialist knowledge of the AOC wines of Alsace, Champagne, Jura, Savoie, Burgundy, Loire, Bordeaux, Rhône, Languedoc, Roussillon, Southwest France, Provence and Corsica
- Appreciate the cultural context of French wine
- Consider the vineyard and winery factors that contribute to wine styles
- Taste a range of French wines
Upon successful completion of a 100-question multiple-choice exam (passing grade is 75%) you will receive the French Wine Scholar (FWS) credential, certificate and lapel pin.
- FWS 280-page Study Manual (new 6th edition)
- A full-year access to all FWS online resources (videos, interactive quizzes, webinars, etc.)
- Exam registration fee
- Tutored tasting of over 55 wines
- Diverse hands-on group activities designed to enhance recall and address different learning styles
- Instruction by Nancy Reynolds and Rose-Anne St. Jean
Available course formats:
Evenings, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
IWEG now offers an alternative to Pay Pal; to charge tuition directly to your credit card please call into the office at 416-534-2570.
IWEG Cancellation and Refund policy:
Withdrawal up to 2 weeks prior to course start date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal between 2 weeks and 3 days prior to course start date: Refund of 50% of tuition less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal 3 days or less to course start date: No refund Please note all course materials are paid upon registration, and are non-refundable.
Condensed classes only: Withdrawal up to 4 weeks prior to course start date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee. 4 weeks prior to course start date: No refund. Study materials are mailed to all condensed students one month prior to course start date, there is no refund once materials have been sent.
Policy on changing your exam date to an alternative date.
Please note IWEG's policy on changing your exam date:
When you register for a WSET or WSG course, you are booked to take your exam on a specific date, which is indicated in your Course Schedule. You can view this before registering, and when you register, you will be reminded.
If you decide not to write your exam on the date you are registered for, this is what you must know:
· For WSET Levels 1 to 3 and WSG courses, you have to ask to change the date at least 15 days before the exam date, by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· For WSET Level 4 Diploma you have to ask to change the date at least 75 days before the exam date, by writing to email@example.com.
· You must pick a new exam date within 12 months from the start of your current course.
· You may change your exam date a maximum of two times during the 12 months. You can choose from any exam dates/re-sit dates listed on the course page of the IWEG website. It is possible that your first choice may not work, if the exam is full.
· Each time you change your exam date, there is a $150 fee.
· After the 12-month period, from the start of your current course, if you still need to sit the exam, you will be charged an exam “re-sit” fee, which varies depending on the course, as well as the $150 fee.
· The only exception to this policy is in case of a valid and verified personal or family emergency, subject to approval from WSET and WSG.
French Wine Scholar - Winter 2020Fee: $1,150 February 12 - April 22, 2020
French Wine Scholar - Winter 2020 Starts Feb. 12, 2020Cost: $1,150 IWEG Drinks Academy
Enroll for this Class ($1,150)
Classes run from Wednesday, February 12th - April 22nd 2020, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm. No class March 18th. Final exam May 6th 2020. Students will receive study manuals the first night of class. You are invited to pick up your study manual in advance. It is important for students to prepare for each week of study moving forward. In addition to weekly lectures, students will have access to the Wine Scholar Guild online learning modules, videos, quizzes, etc. These will be a great complement for your in class studies so please be sure to avail yourself to these tools. Please bring 6 ISO tasting glasses to class. Glasses are available for purchase from the IWEG office; $30/set. Please click on the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card or to use your PayPal account.