Italian Wine Scholar WSG
Italian Wine Scholar
An extensive 2-Unit specialist certification focused on the diverse wines and wine regions of Italy. The Italian Wine Scholar™ program is an official certification and course of study designed by the Wine Scholar Guild to provide current, accurate information on all of the wine regions of Northern, Central and Southern Italy, and to validate proficiency in the wines and wine regions of the country. Unit 1 covers Northern Italy, and Unit 2 covers Central and Southern Italy.
The Units of study can be taken in any order.
Prerequisite: None. However, WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits is strongly recommended, and WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is preferred. Expect to spend from 25 to 50 hours of preparation and review over the duration of each Unit outside of classroom hours.
Classroom content: Unit 1 (16 hours) and Unit 2 (14 hours) provide detailed coverage of Italian wines, as well as an introduction to Italian history, geography, viticulture and
wine-making. You will:
- Develop specialist knowledge of the DOC and DOCG wines of 21 Italian regions
- Appreciate the cultural context of Italian wine
- Consider the vineyard and winery factors that contribute to wine styles
- Taste and assess a range of Italian wines, which illustrate regional or grape varietal typicity, as well as diversity of styles
Each Unit culminates in a 100-question multiple-choice exam. Students achieving a composite score of at least 75% for both exams will receive the IWS credential, certificate and lapel pin.
Each Unit of the Course includes:
- Italian Wine Scholar (IWS) Study Manual and workbook
- A full-year access to all IWS online resources (videos, interactive quizzes, webinars, pronunciation exercises etc.)
- Exam registration fee
- Tutored tasting of over 40 wines per Unit
- Diverse hands-on group activities designed to enhance recall and address different learning styles
- Instruction by Nancy Reynolds, Aleksandar Simic and Kim Berdusco authorized Wine Scholar Guild instructors
Northern Italy (Unit 1): Weekly (6:30 pm - 8:30pm)
Central and Southern Italy (Unit 2): Weekly (6:30 pm - 8:30pm)
- IWS Northern (Unit 1): $1,150 CAD all inclusive.
- IWS Central and Southern (Unit 2): $1,150 CAD all inclusive.
Please note that IWEG is HST exempt by the CRA. Income tax receipts are issued to all students for the applicable tax year.
IWEG now offers an alternative to Pay Pal; to charge tuition directly to your credit card please call into the office at 416-534-2570.
IWEG Cancellation and Refund policy:
Withdrawal up to 2 weeks prior to course start date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal between 2 weeks and 3 days prior to course start date: Refund of 50% of tuition less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal 3 days or less to course start date: No refund Please note all course materials are paid upon registration, and are non-refundable.
Condensed classes only: Withdrawal up to 4 weeks prior to course start date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee.
There can be no refund once materials have been received
Policy on changing your exam date to an alternative date.
Please note IWEG's policy on changing your exam date:
When you register for a WSET or WSG course, you are booked to take your exam on a specific date, which is indicated in your Course Schedule. You can view this before registering, and when you register, you will be reminded.
If you decide not to write your exam on the date you are registered for, this is what you must know:
· For WSET Levels 1 to 3 and WSG courses, you have to ask to change the date at least 15 days before the exam date, by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· For WSET Level 4 Diploma you have to ask to change the date at least 75 days before the exam date, by writing to email@example.com.
· You must pick a new exam date within 12 months from the start of your current course.
· You may change your exam date a maximum of two times during the 12 months. You can choose from any exam dates/re-sit dates listed on the course page of the IWEG website. It is possible that your first choice may not work, if the exam is full.
· Each time you change your exam date, there is a $150 fee.
· After the 12-month period, from the start of your current course, if you still need to sit the exam, you will be charged an exam “re-sit” fee, which varies depending on the course, as well as the $150 fee.
· The only exception to this policy is in case of a valid and verified personal or family emergency, subject to approval from WSET and WSG.
Italian Wine Scholar - Northern Italy (Unit 1)Fee: $1,150 March 1 - May 17, 2021
Italian Wine Scholar - Central and Southern Italy (Unit 2)Fee: $1,150 October 7 - November 18, 2021
Italian Wine Scholar - Northern Italy (Unit 1) Starts Mar. 01, 2021Cost: $1,150 IWEG Drinks Academy
Enroll for this Class ($1,150)
Italian Wine Scholar Study & Certification Programme - Northern Italy. IWEG is one of the first international schools to offer the Italian Wine Scholar and was awarded the prestigious "2017 Italian Wine Scholar Program Provider Of The Year" by Wine Scholar Guild, based on student feeback and pass-rates. Monday evenings 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm: March 1 to May 10, 2021. No classes March 15 and April 5. Exam at 6:30 pm on May 17, 2021 at IWEG.
The first eight classes will be held online via the Zoom platform. The ninth class is an in-person tasting session at IWEG. Exam will be held in-person at IWEG on May 17, 2021 @ 6:30 pm
This is the first unit of study for IWS and is divided into the following 8 classes:
1. Foundation; 2. Valle d’Aosta & Lombardia; 3. Piemonte 1 (Northern and Monferrato); 4. Piemonte 2; 5. Liguria & Emilia-Romagna; 6. Trentino-Alto Adige; 7. Veneto; 8. Friuli-Venezia Giulia; 9. Tasting Workshop. Final exam May 17, 2021 at 6:30pm. Please click on the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card or to use your PayPal account.
Italian Wine Scholar - Central and Southern Italy (Unit 2) Starts Oct. 07, 2021Cost: $1,150 IWEG Drinks Academy
Enroll for this Class ($1,150)
This is the second unit of study for IWS and is divided into the following 7 classes, Thursday, October 7, 2021 - November 18, 2021 Final exam, December 2, 2021, 6:30pm-8:30pm.: Unit 2 Central & Southern Italy: Toscana 1, Toscana 2, Marche & Abruzzo, Umbria & Lazio & Molise, Campania & Basilicata, Puglia & Sardegna, Sicilia & Calabria. Final exam December 2, 2021 at 6:30pm @ IWEG - 211 Yonge St., Ste 501. PLEASE NOTE Unit 1 & Unit 2 may be studied in any order, both exams must be completed to achieve the IWS designation. Please bring 6 ISO tasting glasses to each class. Glasses are available for purchase from the IWEG office, $30/set-6. Please click on the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card or to use your PayPal account.