Italian Wine Scholar WSG
Italian Wine Scholar
An extensive 2-Unit specialist certification focused on the diverse wines and wine regions of Italy. The Italian Wine Scholar™ program is an official certification and course of study designed by the Wine Scholar Guild to provide current, accurate information on all of the wine regions of Northern, Central and Southern Italy, and to validate proficiency in the wines and wine regions of the country. Unit 1 covers Northern Italy, and Unit 2 covers Central and Southern Italy.
The Units of study can be taken in any order.
Prerequisite: None. However, WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits is strongly recommended, and WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is preferred. Expect to spend from 25 to 50 hours of preparation and review over the duration of each Unit outside of classroom hours.
Classroom content: Unit 1 (16 hours) and Unit 2 (14 hours) provide detailed coverage of Italian wines, as well as an introduction to Italian history, geography, viticulture and
wine-making. You will:
- Develop specialist knowledge of the DOC and DOCG wines of 21 Italian regions
- Appreciate the cultural context of Italian wine
- Consider the vineyard and winery factors that contribute to wine styles
- Taste and assess a range of Italian wines, which illustrate regional or grape varietal typicity, as well as diversity of styles
Each Unit culminates in a 100-question multiple-choice exam. Students achieving a composite score of at least 75% for both exams will receive the IWS credential, certificate and lapel pin.
Each Unit of the Course includes:
- Italian Wine Scholar (IWS) Study Manual and workbook
- A full-year access to all IWS online resources (videos, interactive quizzes, webinars, pronunciation exercises etc.)
- Exam registration fee
- Tutored tasting of over 40 wines per Unit
- Diverse hands-on group activities designed to enhance recall and address different learning styles
- Instruction by Nancy Reynolds, Aleksandar Simic and Kim Berdusco authorized Wine Scholar Guild instructors
Northern Italy (Unit 1): Weekly (6:30 pm - 8:30pm)
Central and Southern Italy (Unit 2): Weekly (6:30 pm - 8:30pm)
- IWS Northern (Unit 1): $1,150 CAD all inclusive.
- IWS Central and Southern (Unit 2): $1,150 CAD all inclusive.
Please note that IWEG is HST exempt by the CRA. Income tax receipts are issued to all students for the applicable tax year.
IWEG now offers an alternative to Pay Pal; to charge tuition directly to your credit card please call into the office at 416-534-2570.
IWEG Cancellation and Refund policy:
Please read IWEG's Cancellation and Refund Policy carefully before registering for courses.
Please note all course materials are paid upon registration, and are non-refundable.
Italian Wine Scholar - Central and Southern Italy (Unit 2)Fee: $1,150 October 12 - December 7, 2021
Italian Wine Scholar - Northern Italy (Unit 1)Fee: $1,150 April 28 - June 16, 2022
Italian Wine Scholar - Central and Southern Italy (Unit 2) Starts Oct. 12, 2021Cost: $1,150 IWEG Drinks Academy
Enroll for this Class ($1,150)
This is the second unit of study for the Italian Wine Scholar (IWS) and is divided into the following 7 classes + exam, Tuesdays, October 12, 2021 - December 7, 2021, 6:30 pm to 8:15 pm.
IWS Unit 1 & Unit 2 may be studied in any order, both exams must be completed to achieve the IWS designation
Please note that this course will be delivered via a "blended learning" format, with sessions delivered remotely via Zoom and an in-person tasting workshop at IWEG on November 23rd 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm:
- Toscana 1
- Toscana 2, Umbria
- Marche, Abruzzo, Molise
- Campania, Lazio
- Basilicata, Puglia & Sardegna,
- Sicilia & Calabria
- Tasting Workshop 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm @ IWEG
- Final exam December 7, 2021 at 6:30pm @ IWEG - 211 Yonge St., Ste 501.
Please bring 6 ISO tasting glasses to the tasting workshop. Glasses are available for purchase from the IWEG office, $30/set-6. Please click on the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card or to use your PayPal account.
Italian Wine Scholar - Northern Italy (Unit 1) Starts Apr. 28, 2022Cost: $1,150 IWEG Drinks Academy
Enroll for this Class ($1,150)IWEG is one of the first international schools to offer the Italian Wine Scholar and was awarded the prestigious "2017 Italian Wine Scholar Program Provider Of The Year" by Wine Scholar Guild, based on student feeback and pass-rates. This is the first unit of study for IWS and is divided into the following 8 classes: Unit 1 Northern Italy: Foundation; Valle d’Aosta & Lombardia; Liguria & Emilia-Romagna; Piemonte 1 (Northern and Monferrato); Piemonte 2 (Alba); Trentino-Alto Adige; Veneto; Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Classes will run on Thursdays, April 28th - June16th, 2022 @ 6:30 pm. Final exam: June 30th 2022 @ 6:30 pm. @ IWEG - 211 Yonge St., Ste. 501 Please bring 6 ISO tasting glasses to each class.