Italian Wine Scholar WSG
Italian Wine Scholar
An extensive 2-Unit specialist certification focused on the diverse wines and wine regions of Italy. The Italian Wine Scholar™ program is an official certification and course of study designed by the Wine Scholar Guild to provide current, accurate information on all of the wine regions of Northern, Central and Southern Italy, and to validate proficiency in the wines and wine regions of the country. Unit 1 covers Northern Italy, and Unit 2 covers Central and Southern Italy.
The Units of study can be taken in any order.
Prerequisite: None. However, WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits is strongly recommended, and WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is preferred. Expect to spend from 25 to 50 hours of preparation and review over the duration of each Unit outside of classroom hours.
Classroom content: Unit 1 (16 hours) and Unit 2 (14 hours) provide detailed coverage of Italian wines, as well as an introduction to Italian history, geography, viticulture and
wine-making. You will:
- Develop specialist knowledge of the DOC and DOCG wines of 21 Italian regions
- Appreciate the cultural context of Italian wine
- Consider the vineyard and winery factors that contribute to wine styles
- Taste and assess a range of Italian wines, which illustrate regional or grape varietal typicity, as well as diversity of styles
Each Unit culminates in a 100-question multiple-choice exam. Students achieving a composite score of at least 75% for both exams will receive the IWS credential, certificate and lapel pin.
Each Unit of the Course includes:
- Italian Wine Scholar (IWS) Study Manual and workbook
- A full-year access to all IWS online resources (videos, interactive quizzes, webinars, pronunciation exercises etc.)
- Exam registration fee
- Tutored tasting of over 40 wines per Unit
- Diverse hands-on group activities designed to enhance recall and address different learning styles
- Instruction by Nancy Reynolds, Aleksandar Simic and Rose-Anne St. Jean, authorized Wine Scholar Guild instructors
Northern Italy (Unit 1): Weekly (6:30 pm - 8:30pm)
Central and Southern Italy (Unit 2): Weekly (6:30 pm - 8:30pm)
- IWS Northern (Unit 1): $1,150 CAD all inclusive.
- IWS Central and Southern (Unit 2): $1,150 CAD all inclusive.
Please note that IWEG is HST exempt by the CRA. Income tax receipts are issued to all students for the applicable tax year.
IWEG now offers an alternative to Pay Pal; to charge tuition directly to your credit card please call into the office at 416-534-2570.
IWEG Cancellation and Refund policy:
Withdrawal up to 2 weeks prior to course start date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal between 2 weeks and 3 days prior to course start date: Refund of 50% of tuition less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal 3 days or less to course start date: No refund Please note all course materials are paid upon registration, and are non-refundable.
Condensed classes only: Withdrawal up to 4 weeks prior to course start date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee.
There can be no refund once materials have been received
Policy on changing your exam date to an alternative date.
Please note IWEG's policy on changing your exam date:
When you register for a WSET or WSG course, you are booked to take your exam on a specific date, which is indicated in your Course Schedule. You can view this before registering, and when you register, you will be reminded.
If you decide not to write your exam on the date you are registered for, this is what you must know:
· For WSET Levels 1 to 3 and WSG courses, you have to ask to change the date at least 15 days before the exam date, by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· For WSET Level 4 Diploma you have to ask to change the date at least 75 days before the exam date, by writing to email@example.com.
· You must pick a new exam date within 12 months from the start of your current course.
· You may change your exam date a maximum of two times during the 12 months. You can choose from any exam dates/re-sit dates listed on the course page of the IWEG website. It is possible that your first choice may not work, if the exam is full.
· Each time you change your exam date, there is a $150 fee.
· After the 12-month period, from the start of your current course, if you still need to sit the exam, you will be charged an exam “re-sit” fee, which varies depending on the course, as well as the $150 fee.
· The only exception to this policy is in case of a valid and verified personal or family emergency, subject to approval from WSET and WSG.
Italian Wine Scholar - Northern Italy (Unit 1) TORONTOFee: $1,150 March 3 - May 26, 2020
Italian Wine Scholar - Central & Southern Italy (Unit 2) OTTAWAFee: $995 May 5 - June 23, 2020
Italian Wine Scholar - Northern Italy (Unit 1) TORONTO Starts Mar. 03, 2020Cost: $1,150 IWEG Drinks Academy
Enroll for this Class ($1,150)WEG is one of the first international schools to offer the Italian Wine Scholar and was awarded the prestigious "2017 Italian Wine Scholar Program Provider Of The Year" by Wine Scholar Guild, based on student feeback and pass-rates. This is the first unit of study for IWS and is divided into the following 8 classes, which run on Tuesday evenings at IWEG from 6:30pm to 8:30 pm Foundation: March 3rd 2020 Valle d’Aosta & Lombardia; March 10th 2020 Piemonte 1 (Northern and Monferrato): March 24th 2020 (no class March 17th due to March Break) Piemonte 2 (Alba); March 31st 2020 Liguria & Emilia-Romagna:: April 7th 2020 Trentino-Alto Adige; April 21st 2020 (no class on April 14th 2020) Veneto; April 28th 2020 Friuli-Venezia Giulia, May 12th 2020 (no class May 5th 2020) Final exam is on May 26th 2020 at 6:30pm. Please click on the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card or to use your PayPal account.
Italian Wine Scholar - Central & Southern Italy (Unit 2) OTTAWA Starts May. 05, 2020Cost: $995 Algonguin College
Enroll for this Class ($995)
Italian Wine Scholar Study & Certification Programme - Central and Southern Italy. IWEG is one of the first international schools to offer the Italian Wine Scholar and was awarded the prestigious "2017 Italian Wine Scholar Program Provider Of The Year" by Wine Scholar Guild, based on student feeback and pass-rates. Sommelier Lab, Room H103, Algonquin College, Ottawa Tuesdays evenings 7pm to 9pm: May 5th, 12th, 19ith, 26th; June 2nd, 9th, 16th; Final exam at 7pm on June 23rd 2020. Instructor: Liam Doody This is the second unit of study for IWS and is divided into the following 7 classes: Toscana 1; Toscana 2; Marche & Abruzzo; Umbria & Lazio & Molise; Campania & Basilicata; Puglia & Sardegna; Sicilia & Calabria. PLEASE NOTE Unit 1 & Unit 2 may be studied in any order, however, both exams must be completed successfully to achieve the IWS designation. Please click on the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card or to use your PayPal account. SPECIAL OFFER: IWEG is offering a special tuition rate of $895 for students who have completed Unit 1 (Northern Italy) of the Italian Wine Scholar program, but are yet to complete Unit 2 (Central and Southern Italy) and students who completed the French Wine Scholar. To benefit from this offer please contact Anne Theunissen, Program Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-534-2570, during business hours.