New! Spanish Wine Scholar WSG
NEW! The Spanish Wine Scholar programme is a study and certification programme providing current, accurate and in-depth information on the wines and wine regions of Spain.
Developed and administrated by the Wine Scholar Guild, this programme is aimed at advanced students of wine whether professionals or serious wine hobbyists. The development of the curriculum involved many Spanish wine consejos reguladores, which shared resources, information and assistance. The Wine Scholar Guild incorporated this body of information into a study program covering viticultural and winemaking practices, grape varieties, topography, climate, soils, history and wine laws for all Spanish wine regions. There is no other study and certification programme in the world that covers Spain with such breadth and depth. The material is comprehensive and updated every year.
Prerequisite: None. However, WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits is recommended, and WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is preferred. Expect to spend 20 hours of preparation and review over the duration of the course outside of classroom hours.
This 16-hour course provides detailed coverage of Spanish wine regions, as well as an introduction to Spanish history, geography, viticulture and winemaking. You will:
- Develop specialist knowledge of the DO / DOCa regions involving: Green Spain; Duero River Valley, La Rioja, Ebro River Valley/Levante, Catalunia, Meseta, Andalucia, Islands.
- Appreciate the cultural context of Spanish wine
- Consider the vineyard and winery factors that contribute to wine styles
- Develop assessment and description skills as you sample a range of exemplary wines, including many that are rare and difficult-to-source
Upon successful completion of a 100-question multiple-choice exam (passing grade is 75%) you will receive the Spanish Wine Scholar (SWS) credential, certificate and lapel pin.
- SWS Study Manual, which includes a foundation unit covering Spanish wine law, grape varieties, viticulture and winemaking plus individual chapters on all of the wine regions of Spain.
- A full-year access to all SWS online resources (slides, videos, review quizzes for self-evaluation, flash-cards, downloadable maps, instructor Q&A forum for personal assistance, webinars, and student forum for community interaction etc.)
- Exam registration fee
- Tutored tasting of approximately 50 wines
- Diverse hands-on group activities designed to enhance recall and address different learning styles
- Instructed by a specialist team of IWEG educators, including Lead Educator and one of the globally top-ranked Wine Scholar Guild educators, Nancy Reynolds
Available course formats:
Evenings, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Course Fee: $1,150.00
A set of 6xISO tasting glasses are available for additional purchase, if required for $25.
IWEG now offers an alternative to Pay Pal; to charge tuition directly to your credit card please call into the office at 416-534-2570.
Individuals who follow this in-depth curriculum and pass the exam earn the Spanish Wine Scholar title and the SWS post-nominal which may be incorporated into a professional signature (e.g. John Smith, SWS).
Spanish Wine ScholarFee: $1,150 October 1 - December 3, 2019
Spanish Wine Scholar Starts Oct. 01, 2019Cost: $1,150 IWEG Drinks Academy - Downtown
Enroll for this Class ($1,150)NEW! Spanish Wine Scholar study and certification programme: Tuesday evenings at IWEG, October 1st 2019 to November 19th 2019, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Exam on December 3rd 2019 at 7pm. This is the inaugural SWS course and is divided into the following 8 classes, Foundation/Green Spain; Duero River Valley; La Rioja; Ebro River Valley/Levante; Cataluna; Mesta; Andalucia; Islands. Please bring 6 ISO tasting glasses to each class. Glasses are available for purchase from the IWEG office, $25/set-6. IWEG now has an alternative to PayPal; to charge tuition directly to your Visa or MasterCard, please call the IWEG office (416) 534-2570.