New! Spanish Wine Scholar WSG
The Spanish Wine Scholar programme is a study and certification programme providing current, accurate and in-depth information on the wines and wine regions of Spain.
Developed and administrated by the Wine Scholar Guild, this programme is aimed at advanced students of wine whether professionals or serious wine hobbyists.
The development of the curriculum involved many Spanish wine Consejos Reguladores, which shared resources, information and assistance. The Wine Scholar Guild incorporated this body of information into a study program covering viticultural and winemaking practices, grape varieties, topography, climate, soils, history and wine laws for all Spanish wine regions. There is no other study and certification programme in the world that covers Spain with such breadth and depth. The material is comprehensive and updated every year.
Prerequisite: None. However, WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits is recommended, and WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is preferred. Expect to spend 50 hours of preparation and review over the duration of the course outside of classroom hours.
This 16-hour course provides detailed coverage of Spanish wine regions, as well as an introduction to Spanish history, geography, viticulture and winemaking.
In the course you will:
- Develop specialist knowledge of the DO / DOCa regions involving: Green Spain; The Duero River Valley; La Rioja; The Ebro River Valley; Catalunia; The Central Mediterranean Coast; La Meseta; Andalucia and The Islands.
- Appreciate the cultural context of Spanish wine
- Consider the vineyard and winery factors that contribute to wine styles
- Taste a range of Spanish wines
Upon successful completion of a 100-question multiple-choice exam (passing grade is 75%) you will receive the Spanish Wine Scholar (SWS) credential, certificate and lapel pin.
- SWS Study Manual, which includes a foundation unit covering Spanish wine law, grape varieties, viticulture and winemaking plus individual chapters on all of the wine regions of Spain.
- A full-year access to all SWS online resources (videos, review quizzes for self-evaluation, flash-cards, downloadable maps, instructor Q&A forum for personal assistance, webinars, and student forum for community interaction etc.)
- Exam registration fee
- Tutored tasting of a number of benchmark styles of Spanish wines, depicting grape varietal and/or regional typicity
- Diverse hands-on group activities designed to enhance recall and address different learning styles
- Instructed by a specialist team of IWEG Spanish Wine educators, including Lead Educator Nancy Reynolds, DipWSET, Kim Berdusco, DipWSET and Caitlin Ferguson, DipWSET
Available course formats:
Evenings, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Course Fee: $1,150
A set of 6 ISO tasting glasses is available for additional purchase for $30.
Individuals who follow this in-depth curriculum and pass the exam earn the Spanish Wine Scholar title and the SWS post-nominal which may be incorporated into a professional signature (e.g. John Smith, SWS).
Registration and Payment: Please create an account and login to register on our website. Click the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card (no PayPal account needed). If you require assistance or alternative payment methods, please call 416-534-2570.
Spanish Wine ScholarFee: $1,150 April 2 - June 11, 2020
Spanish Wine Scholar Starts Apr. 02, 2020Cost: $1,150 IWEG Drinks Academy
Enroll for this Class ($1,150)
NEW! Spanish Wine Scholar study and certification programme Dates: Thursday evenings, April 2nd 2020 to May 28th 2020 (no class on April 16th and May 14th). Time: 6:30pm to 8:30pm. Final Exam: June 11th 2020 at 6:30pm. Additional Information: This iSWS course is divided into the following 8 classes: Foundation/Green Spain; The Duero River Valley; La Rioja; The Ebro River Valley; Cataluna; The Central Mediterranean Coast; The Meseta; Andalucia and the Islands. Please bring 6 ISO tasting glasses to each class. Glasses are available for purchase from the IWEG office, $30/set-6. Registration and Payment: Please create an account and login to register on our website. Click the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card (no PayPal account needed). If you require assistance or alternative payment methods, please call 416-534-2570.