WSET - Level 1 Award in Spirits WSET
A beginner level spirits course for those starting a career in the industry or beginning to explore spirits for personal interest.
This 6-hour course provides a hands-on introduction to the world of spirits, liqueurs and cocktails. You will:
- Explore the main types and styles of spirits through sight, smell, and taste
- Learn how to describe spirits accurately using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT)
- Develop an understanding of the main steps of spirits production
- Enjoy an extended exploration of cocktails, lead by local cocktail experts, Victoria Walsh and Scott McCallum
Upon successful completion of a 30-question multiple-choice exam you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
- WSET Level Award in Spirits Workbook
- Tutored tasting of 9 benchmark spirits, and 2 cocktails
- Hands-on group activities
- Guided review to help prepare for the multiple-choice exam
- Special cocktail session with a cocktail expert
Available course formats: One full Saturday 9:30am to 4:45pm OR two consecutive Thursdays 6:30pm to 9:30pm
- Overview of spirits production
- WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits
- Basics of distillation and maturation
- Tutored tasting of Vodka, Cognac, Whiskey/Whisky and Rum
- Review activities
- Tutored tasting of Tequila and Gin
- Introduction to storage and service of spirits
- Hands-on cocktail experience
IWEG now offers an alternative to Pay Pal; to charge tuition directly to your credit card please call into the office at 416-534-2570.
IWEG's Cancellation and Refund policy:
Withdrawal up to specific course deadline date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal after deadline date no refund. Please note all course materials are paid upon registration, and are non-refundable.
Policy on changing your exam date to an alternative date.
Please note IWEG's policy on changing your exam date:
When you register for a WSET or WSG course, you are booked to take your exam on a specific date, which is indicated in your Course Schedule. You can view this before registering, and when you register, you will be reminded.
If you decide not to write your exam on the date you are registered for, this is what you must know:
· For WSET Levels 1 to 3 and WSG courses, you have to ask to change the date at least 15 days before the exam date, by writing to email@example.com.
· For WSET Level 4 Diploma you have to ask to change the date at least 75 days before the exam date, by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· You must pick a new exam date within 12 months from the start of your current course.
· You may change your exam date a maximum of two times during the 12 months. You can choose from any exam dates/re-sit dates listed on the course page of the IWEG website. It is possible that your first choice may not work, if the exam is full.
· Each time you change your exam date, there is a $150 fee.
· After the 12-month period, from the start of your current course, if you still need to sit the exam, you will be charged an exam “re-sit” fee, which varies depending on the course, as well as the $150 fee.
· The only exception to this policy is in case of a valid and verified personal or family emergency, subject to approval from WSET and WSG.
WSET Level 1 Award in SpiritsFee: $425 March 23 - March 30, 2020
WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits Starts Mar. 23, 2020Cost: $425 IWEG Drinks Academy
Enroll for this Class ($425)
This WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits is two evenings of study, Mondays, March 23rd & 30th 2020, 6:30pm - 9:30pm. Exam on March 30th 2020 @9pm, 30 multiple-choice questions. Students will have access to the Study Guide upon receipt of tuition and are required to read through the material before attending class in order to be familiar with the content and participate in activities.
Please bring 6 x ISO tasting glasses (also available for purchase at $30 per set of 6 glasses - please contact IWEG office). It is expected that after the first class students will prepare for the second week in advance. Additional course study materials are available to students through their IWEG student account, it is highly recommended that students avail themselves to these tools. Registration and Payment: Please create an account and login to register on our website. Click the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card (no PayPal account needed). If you require assistance or alternative payment methods, please call 416-534-2570.