WSET - Level 1 Wines WSET
WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
A beginner level wine course for those starting a wine career or beginning to explore wine for personal interest.
This one-day, 6 guided learning hour course, provides a hands-on introduction to the world of wine, and wine and food pairing. You will:
- Explore the main types and styles of wine through sight, smell, and taste
- Understand common wine grapes and their characteristics,
- Learn to describe wines accurately
- Assess a range of food and wine pairings, under the guidance of Chef Carrie Rau DipWSET
- Practice selecting wines to match with diverse menu options
- Learn how to describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
Upon successful completion of a 30-question multiple-choice exam you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
The Course includes:
- WSET L1 Wines Workbook
- Tutored tasting of 10 wines, including sparkling and fortified
- 6-item tasting flight of chef-prepared foods (alert us to allergies/preferences upon registering)
- Hands-on group activities
Guided review to help prepare for the multiple-choice exam
All WSET textbooks and study guides are in an eBook format.
Please click on the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines specification for further details
Available course formats:
Daytime (Mondays) and Weekends (Saturdays)
- WSET Level I Systematic Approach To Tasting
- The main styles of wine
- Key grape varieties
- Service of wine
- The importance of matching food with wine
- Discuss - sweetness, umami, acidity, saltiness, bitterness, chili heat
- Cooking methods
- Great food and wine pairing experiences with Chef Carrie Rau,DipWSET
- Exam - passing grade is 70%
Please click on the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card or to use your PayPal account.
Program Administrator: please contact Anne Theunissen at email@example.com
IWEG's Cancellation, Refund and Exam Re-sit fee policy:
Withdrawal up to specific course deadline date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal after deadline date no refund. Please note all course materials are paid upon registration, and are non-refundable.
Exam re-sit fee for WSET Level 1 Award in Wines: $150:00
Policy on changing your exam date to an alternative date.
Please note IWEG's policy on changing your exam date:
When you register for a WSET or WSG course, you are booked to take your exam on a specific date, which is indicated in your Course Schedule. You can view this before registering, and when you register, you will be reminded.
If you decide not to write your exam on the date you are registered for, this is what you must know:
· For WSET Levels 1 to 3 and WSG courses, you have to ask to change the date at least 15 days before the exam date, by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· For WSET Level 4 Diploma you have to ask to change the date at least 75 days before the exam date, by writing to email@example.com.
· You must pick a new exam date within 12 months from the start of your current course.
· You may change your exam date a maximum of two times during the 12 months. You can choose from any exam dates/re-sit dates listed on the course page of the IWEG website. It is possible that your first choice may not work, if the exam is full.
· Each time you change your exam date, there is a $150 fee.
· After the 12-month period, from the start of your current course, if you still need to sit the exam, you will be charged an exam “re-sit” fee, which varies depending on the course, as well as the $150 fee.
· The only exception to this policy is in case of a valid and verified personal or family emergency, subject to approval from WSET and WSG.