WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits Online Learning IWEG Online Learning Program
The course is based around a 5-week structured online programme with a recommendation of 6 hours study per week to cover the online activities and read the relevant chapters in the textbook. Regular access and participation in the course online activities is essential for this mode of study.
The course follows a weekly structure, but it allows the student to work ahead or catch up on the activities and forums. There are no set times to log into the course as there are no live chats or webinars. The course prepares the student for the WSET qualification and students are guided by a WSET educator.
The student can contact the educator any time for the duration of the scheduled course, should they have any questions. Each week includes a series of independent and/or group activities to help students understand the key styles of spirits and how they are made.
Students are advised to taste a range of spirits during their studies. A list of recommended tasting samples can be found in the specification. Students can post their tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator.
Week 1: Production & Markets; Service & Coctails; Responsible Drinking
Discover how spirits are made and the influence of production methods on the style of spirit produced. Learn to taste and describe spirits using the WSET Systematic Tasting Techniques Approach to Tasting.
Learn about some of the common techniques used in making cocktails.
Includes a guide to sensible drinking.
Week 2: Fruit Based Spirits; Sugar Cane Based Spirits
Brandies: Cognac, Armagnac, Brandy de Jerez and Pisco; Grappa; Calvados; Rum and Cachaça.
Week 3: Whisk(e)y & Tequila
Whiskies: Scotch, Irish, North American; Tequila.
Week 4: Vodka; Flavoured Spirits; Liqueurs
Vodka: International, Eastern European and flavoured Vodka;
Flavoured Spirits: Gin, Aniseed-flavoured spirits and bitters;
Fruit, herb, kernel/seed/nut and cream liqueurs.
Week 5: Spirits and Liqueurs; Revision
Revision & Examination Preparation
IWEG's Cancellation and Refund policy:
Withdrawal up to 10 days prior to course start date, refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal less than 10 days to start date , no refund. Please note all course materials are paid upon registration, and are non-refundable.
Policy on changing your exam date to an alternative date.
Please note IWEG's policy on changing your exam date:
When you register for a WSET or WSG course, you are booked to take your exam on a specific date, which is indicated in your Course Schedule. You can view this before registering, and when you register, you will be reminded.
If you decide not to write your exam on the date you are registered for, this is what you must know:
· For WSET Levels 1 to 3 and WSG courses, you have to ask to change the date at least 15 days before the exam date, by writing to email@example.com.
· For WSET Level 4 Diploma you have to ask to change the date at least 75 days before the exam date, by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· You must pick a new exam date within 12 months from the start of your current course.
· You may change your exam date a maximum of two times during the 12 months. You can choose from any exam dates/re-sit dates listed on the course page of the IWEG website. It is possible that your first choice may not work, if the exam is full.
· Each time you change your exam date, there is a $150 fee.
· After the 12-month period, from the start of your current course, if you still need to sit the exam, you will be charged an exam “re-sit” fee, which varies depending on the course, as well as the $150 fee.
· The only exception to this policy is in case of a valid and verified personal or family emergency, subject to approval from WSET and WSG.
WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits Online Learning O2SP2001Fee: $750 September 30 - November 2, 2019
WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits Online Learning O2SP2001 Starts Sep. 30, 2019Cost: $750 IWEG - Exam Only
Enroll for this Class ($750)
This online WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits course runs from Monday, September 30th to Saturday November 2nd 2019. Exam will be @ IWEG in Toronto, November 30th 2019 @ 1:30pm.
Deadline to register is Friday, September 13th 2019. Students will receive an email from the WSET online classroom just before the start date. You will participate in online assignments, and online postings during your 5 weeks of study. Study materials will be sent to students who reside outside the GTA upon receipt of registration and tuition payment. Students are responsible for their own tasting samples. IWEG now offers an alternative to PayPal; to pay directly by VISA or MasterCard, please call the office at (416) 534-2570 during business hours.