WSET Level 3 Award in Sake WSET
This is an advanced level course for sake industry professionals or sake enthusiasts, taught by WSET Certified Sake Educator and Sake Samurai, Michael Tremblay.
The course will be delivered in a blended learning format:
- Four 3-hour synchronous online sessions (live and recorded) on the Zoom platform, Mondays 10:30am to 1:30pm: May 3, 10,17, 31, 2021
- In-class tasting and exam preparation workshop at IWEG, Saturday, June 5, 2021 from 11:00am to 5:00pm
- Exam at IWEG Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 11:30am.
About this course:
This course provides in-depth understanding of the production methods that affect sake style, quality and price. It develops systematic tasting and description skills, as well as the ability to make recommendations. You will:
- Explore in detail the techniques employed in sake production
- Understand how these techniques affect sake style and quality
- Experience a range of principal and specialty types of sake, evaluating quality, identity and price, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT) during the tasting and exam preparation workshop.
- Appreciate the historic and current cultural and commercial significance of sake in Japan and in export markets
- Assess and describe sake with confidence, and be able to make selection, storage and service suggestions
Upon successful completion of a tasting test AND a theory test, consisting of multiple-choice and short-written answers, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
Prerequisite: None. However, successful completion of WSET Level 1 Award in Sake is strongly recommended. Expect to spend an additional 25 hours of preparation and review over the duration of the course, outside of the online sessions.
The Course includes:
- WSET e-book study pack
- Tutored tasting of sake styles specified by WSET, at the tasting and exam preparation workshop, under the guidance of Michael Tremblay, Sake Samurai, Ontario’s first certified Advanced Sake Professional and a WSET Certified Sake Educator
- Exam registration with WSET
Please note that registered students must purchase a prepared 6-pack case of sake (300ml bottles).
Each week’s session will consist of a guided practice tasting using the Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT).
How to join the Zoom sessions:
- You will receive a link and password to join the six Zoom online class sessions and access to course session recordings on Zoom during the duration of the course.
- In order to join IWEG’s Zoom online classes you will need a desktop computer and a solid WiFi connection. It is assumed students have basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a reasonable standard of written and spoken English.
Session One (on Zoom)
Introduction & Overview
Reading Labels and Kanji
Introduction to the Systematic Approach to Tasting
Session Two (on Zoom)
Making Steamed White Rice
Session Three (on Zoom)
Jozo Alcohol & Filtration
Session Four (on Zoom)
Regionality and Styles of Sake
Sake Trade, Organizations
Sales and Exports
Specialty Styles of Sake
Storage and Service
Session Five at IWEG May 29, 2021 11:00am to 5:00pm
Tasting and exam preparation workshop (6 hr workshop)
Exam at IWEG May 30, 2021 at 11:30am
$750 CAD inclusive of all materials and tuition EXCEPT for the cost of the prepared 6-pack case of sake (300ml bottles), which will be purchased by each student directly from firstname.lastname@example.org for $150 + HST + delivery. Please note that IWEG tuition is HST exempt by the CRA. Income tax receipts for the tuition fee are issued to all students for the applicable tax year.
Please pay the fee by clicking the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card (no PayPal account needed), or via interac etransfer to email@example.com.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis IWEG's office is temporarily closed. We cannot accept or receive cheques, nor can we accept credit card payments over the phone.
IWEG's Cancellation and Refund policy for this WSET Level 3 Award in Sake Online via Zoom:
- Please note that all course tuition is 100% non-refundable from the time of registration.
- However, payment is transferable to another IWEG course. Should you wish to apply your tuition payment as a credit towards a future course for yourself at IWEG, this must be done prior to the first online session. All transfer requests must be received by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transfer requests received after the start of the first online session will not be accepted.
- If IWEG cancels the WSET Level 3 Award in Sake Online via Zoom, a full refund will be issued to you.
Policy on changing your exam date to an alternative date:
If you decide not to write your exam on the date for which you are registered, please note:
· You must request an exam date change at least 15 days before the exam date, by writing to email@example.com.
· You must pick a new exam date within 12 months from the start of your current course.
· You may change your exam date a maximum of two times during the 12 months. You can choose from any exam dates/re-sit dates listed on the course page of the IWEG website. It is possible that your first choice may not work, if the exam is full.
· Each time you change your exam date, there is a $150 fee.
· After the 12-month period, from the start of your current course, if you still need to sit the exam, you will be charged an exam “re-sit” fee, which varies depending on the course, as well as the $150 fee.
· The only exception to this policy is in case of a valid and verified personal or family emergency, subject to approval from WSET.
WSET Level 3 Award in SakeFee: $750 May 3 - June 6, 2021
WSET Level 3 Award in Sake Starts May. 03, 2021Cost: $750 IWEG Drinks Academy - Tasting Workshop and Exam Only
Enroll for this Class ($750)This is the WSET Level 3 Award in Sake with Michael Tremblay, WSET Certified Sake Educator and Sake Samurai in a blended format: Four x 3-hour online synchronous sessions (live and recorded) on the Zoom platform. May, 3,10,17,31 2021 from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm. In-class tasting and exam preparation workshop at IWEG June 5, 2021 11:00am to 5:00pm. Exam at IWEG June 6, 2021 at 11:30am. Please pay the fee by clicking the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card (no PayPal account needed), or via interac etransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org. We cannot accept or receive cheques, nor can we accept credit card payments over the phone. Please see in the course description our Cancellation and Refund policy for this specific course, along with our exam date change policy.