WSET Level 3 Award in Sake WSET
This is an advanced level course for sake industry professionals or sake enthusiasts, taught by WSET Certified Sake Educator and Sake Samurai, Michael Tremblay.
The course will be delivered in a blended learning format:
- Four 3-hour synchronous online sessions (live and recorded) on the Zoom platform, Mondays 10:30am to 1:30pm: May 3, 10,17, 31, 2021
- In-class tasting and exam preparation workshop at IWEG, Saturday, June 5, 2021 from 11:00am to 5:00pm
- Exam at IWEG Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 11:30am.
About this course:
This course provides in-depth understanding of the production methods that affect sake style, quality and price. It develops systematic tasting and description skills, as well as the ability to make recommendations. You will:
- Explore in detail the techniques employed in sake production
- Understand how these techniques affect sake style and quality
- Experience a range of principal and specialty types of sake, evaluating quality, identity and price, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT) during the tasting and exam preparation workshop.
- Appreciate the historic and current cultural and commercial significance of sake in Japan and in export markets
- Assess and describe sake with confidence, and be able to make selection, storage and service suggestions
Upon successful completion of a tasting test AND a theory test, consisting of multiple-choice and short-written answers, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
Prerequisite: None. However, successful completion of WSET Level 1 Award in Sake is strongly recommended. Expect to spend an additional 25 hours of preparation and review over the duration of the course, outside of the online sessions.
The Course includes:
- WSET e-book study pack
- Tutored tasting of sake styles specified by WSET, at the tasting and exam preparation workshop, under the guidance of Michael Tremblay, Sake Samurai, Ontario’s first certified Advanced Sake Professional and a WSET Certified Sake Educator
- Exam registration with WSET
Please note that registered students must purchase a prepared 6-pack case of sake (300ml bottles).
Each week’s session will consist of a guided practice tasting using the Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT).
How to join the Zoom sessions:
- You will receive a link and password to join the six Zoom online class sessions and access to course session recordings on Zoom during the duration of the course.
- In order to join IWEG’s Zoom online classes you will need a desktop computer and a solid WiFi connection. It is assumed students have basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a reasonable standard of written and spoken English.
Session One (on Zoom)
Introduction & Overview
Reading Labels and Kanji
Introduction to the Systematic Approach to Tasting
Session Two (on Zoom)
Making Steamed White Rice
Session Three (on Zoom)
Jozo Alcohol & Filtration
Session Four (on Zoom)
Regionality and Styles of Sake
Sake Trade, Organizations
Sales and Exports
Specialty Styles of Sake
Storage and Service
Session Five at IWEG June 5, 2021 11:00am to 5:00pm
Tasting and exam preparation workshop (6 hr workshop)
Exam at IWEG June 6, 2021 at 11:30am
$850 CAD inclusive of all materials and tuition EXCEPT for the cost of the prepared 6-pack case of sake (300ml bottles), which will be purchased by each student directly from firstname.lastname@example.org for $150 + HST + delivery. Please note that IWEG tuition is HST exempt by the CRA. Income tax receipts for the tuition fee are issued to all students for the applicable tax year.
Please pay the fee by clicking the PayPal button to charge tuition directly to your credit card (no PayPal account needed), or via interac etransfer to email@example.com.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis IWEG's office is temporarily closed. We cannot accept or receive cheques, nor can we accept credit card payments over the phone.
IWEG's Cancellation and Refund policy
Please read IWEG's Cancellation and Refund Policy carefully before registering for courses.
Please note that all course materials are paid upon registration and are non-refundable.