WSET Level 3 Sake WSET
WSET Level 3 Award
An advanced level course for sake industry professionals or sake enthusiasts.
Prerequisite: None. However, successful completion of Level 1 Award in Sake is strongly recommended. WSET’s Online Introduction to Sake is accessible upon registration, and provides baseline knowledge prior to the start of Level 3. Expect to spend 5 – 10 hours with this online material, and an additional 25 hours of preparation and review over the duration of the course, outside of the classroom.
This 24 hour course provides in-depth understanding of the production methods that affect sake style, quality and price. It develops systematic tasting and description skills, as well as the ability to make recommendations. You will:
- Explore in detail the techniques employed in sake production
- Understand how these techniques affect sake style and quality
- Visit a local sake producer for a behind-the-scenes tour and tasting
- Experience an extensive range of principal and specialty types of sake, evaluating quality, identity and price, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
- Appreciate the historic and current cultural and commercial significance of sake in Japan and in export markets
- Assess and describe sake with confidence, and be able to make selection, storage and service suggestions
Upon successful completion of a tasting test AND a theory test, consisting of multiple-choice and short-written answers, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
- WSET course-pack (text book, study guide, SAT card)
- Tutored tasting of all sake styles specified by WSET, under the guidance of Michael Tremblay, Ontario’s first certified Advanced Sake Professional and a WSET Certified Sake Educator or Mariko Tajiri, Advanced Sake Professional and a Certified WSET Sake educator and assessor
- Tour of Ontario Spring Water Sake Company (Toronto courses only)
Toronto format: 2 full consecutive weekends, Saturday and Sunday, plus exam, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Ottawa and Montreal format: 3 full consecutive days, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, with exam scheduled on a 4th day.
IWEG's Cancellation and Refund policy:
Withdrawal up to 4 weeks prior to course start date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal 4 weeks prior to course start date: No refund. Students are sent study packs upon tuition payment so they can begin preparation for class and therefore all course materials are non-refundable.
Policy on changing your exam date to an alternative date.
Please note IWEG's policy on changing your exam date:
When you register for a WSET or WSG course, you are booked to take your exam on a specific date, which is indicated in your Course Schedule. You can view this before registering, and when you register, you will be reminded.
If you decide not to write your exam on the date you are registered for, this is what you must know:
· For WSET Levels 1 to 3 and WSG courses, you have to ask to change the date at least 15 days before the exam date, by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· For WSET Level 4 Diploma you have to ask to change the date at least 75 days before the exam date, by writing to email@example.com.
· You must pick a new exam date within 12 months from the start of your current course.
· You may change your exam date a maximum of two times during the 12 months. You can choose from any exam dates/re-sit dates listed on the course page of the IWEG website. It is possible that your first choice may not work, if the exam is full.
· Each time you change your exam date, there is a $150 fee.
· After the 12-month period, from the start of your current course, if you still need to sit the exam, you will be charged an exam “re-sit” fee, which varies depending on the course, as well as the $150 fee.
· The only exception to this policy is in case of a valid and verified personal or family emergency, subject to approval from WSET and WSG.
WSET Level 3 Award in Sake @ Algonquin College, OttawaFee: $975 April 17 - April 20, 2020
WSET Level 3 Award in Sake - Toronto, Summer 2020Fee: $975 June 13 - June 27, 2020
WSET Level 3 Award in Sake @ Algonquin College, Ottawa Starts Apr. 17, 2020Cost: $975 Algonguin College
Enroll for this Class ($975)
Sommelier Lab, Room H103, Algonquin College, Ottawa The Independent Wine Education Guild is proud to announce a partnership with Algonquin College, Ottawa, to offer the WSET Level 3 Award in Sake. The inaugural WSET Level 3 Award in Sake runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday, April, 17th. 18th and 19th 2020, 9:30am - 4:30pm. Exam on Monday April 20th 2020, 9:30am. Prerequisite: None, but WSET Level 1 Award in Sake is strongly recommended. The course will be delivered by IWEG's Certifed WSET Sake Educator, Mariko Tajiri. Students will receive course materials upon receipt of tuition and are strongly urged to read through the material before attending class in order to be familiar with content and participate in activities. There will be a short break midday for refreshment. A special "trade" rate of $950 will be offered to National Capital Sommelier Guild members, Algonquin College Alumni, current Sommelier students, and those professionals actively working in Hospitailty or the Wine, Spirits and Sake industry. Please call the office at 416-534-2570 to complete your registration (please note that IWEG is HST exempt by CRA). IWEG now offers an alternative to PayPal; to charge tuition to your Visa or MasterCard please call the office at 416-534-2570. Alternatively, interac e-transfers can be arranged by emailing IWEG at firstname.lastname@example.org. About IWEG's Certified WSET Sake Educator Mariko Tajiri Mariko has been working with sake for 10 years, promoting and educating buyers, sommeliers and the public through seminars, dinners and various events across Canada. She is an Advanced Sake Professional and a Certified WSET Level 3 Award in Sake educator and assessor. She has visited over 20 breweries throughout Japan and her specializes in sake and food pairings. Memories of carrying bottles of sake as large as herself as a child with her grandfather further enhances her passion for sake.
WSET Level 3 Award in Sake - Toronto, Summer 2020 Starts Jun. 13, 2020Cost: $975 IWEG Drinks Academy
Enroll for this Class ($975)
The WSET Level 3 Award in Sake runs Saturday & Sunday June 13th & 14th, 20th & 21st 2020, 9:30am - 4:30pm. Exam Saturday, June 27th 2020 at 9:30am. Taught by IWEG's WSET Certified Lead Sake Educator and Sake Samurai, Michael Tremblay. Prerequisite: Level 1 Award in Sake strongly recommended.