WSET Level 3 Sake WSET
WSET Level 3 Award
An advanced level course for sake industry professionals or sake enthusiasts.
Prerequisite: None. However, successful completion of Level 1 Award in Sake is strongly recommended. WSET’s Online Introduction to Sake is accessible upon registration, and provides baseline knowledge prior to the start of Level 3. Expect to spend 5 – 10 hours with this online material, and an additional 25 hours of preparation and review over the duration of the course, outside of the classroom.
This 24 hour course provides in-depth understanding of the production methods that affect sake style, quality and price. It develops systematic tasting and description skills, as well as the ability to make recommendations. You will:
- Explore in detail the techniques employed in sake production
- Understand how these techniques affect sake style and quality
- Visit a local sake producer for a behind-the-scenes tour and tasting
- Experience an extensive range of principal and specialty types of sake, evaluating quality, identity and price, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
- Appreciate the historic and current cultural and commercial significance of sake in Japan and in export markets
- Assess and describe sake with confidence, and be able to make selection, storage and service suggestions
Upon successful completion of a tasting test AND a theory test, consisting of multiple-choice and short-written answers, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
- WSET course-pack (text book, study guide, SAT card)
- Tutored tasting of all sake styles specified by WSET, under the guidance of Michael Tremblay, Ontario’s first certified Advanced Sake Professional and a WSET Certified Sake Educator
- Tour of Ontario Spring Water Sake Company
Toronto format: 2 full consecutive weekends, Saturday and Sunday, plus exam, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Montreal format: 3 full consecutive days, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, with exam scheduled on a 4th day, following a two week study and exam prep break.
IWEG's Cancellation and Refund policy:
Withdrawal up to 4 weeks prior to course start date: Refund of tuition, less $150 administration fee. Withdrawal 4 weeks prior to course start date: No refund. Students are sent study packs upon tuition payment so they can begin preparation for class and therefore all course materials are non-refundable.
Policy on changing your exam date to an alternative date.
Please note IWEG's policy on changing your exam date:
When you register for a WSET or WSG course, you are booked to take your exam on a specific date, which is indicated in your Course Schedule. You can view this before registering, and when you register, you will be reminded.
If you decide not to write your exam on the date you are registered for, this is what you must know:
· For WSET Levels 1 to 3 and WSG courses, you have to ask to change the date at least 15 days before the exam date, by writing to email@example.com.
· For WSET Level 4 Diploma you have to ask to change the date at least 75 days before the exam date, by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· You must pick a new exam date within 12 months from the start of your current course.
· You may change your exam date a maximum of two times during the 12 months. You can choose from any exam dates/re-sit dates listed on the course page of the IWEG website. It is possible that your first choice may not work, if the exam is full.
· Each time you change your exam date, there is a $150 fee.
· After the 12-month period, from the start of your current course, if you still need to sit the exam, you will be charged an exam “re-sit” fee, which varies depending on the course, as well as the $150 fee.
· The only exception to this policy is in case of a valid and verified personal or family emergency, subject to approval from WSET and WSG.
WSET Level 3 Award in Sake SPRING 2019Fee: $950 April 13 - May 4, 2019
WSET Level 3 Award in Sake SPRING 2019 Started Apr. 13, 2019Cost: $950 IWEG Drinks Academy - Downtown
Enroll for this Class ($950)
The WSET Level 3 Award in Sake runs Saturday & Sunday April 13th & 14th, 27th & 28th 2019, 9:30am - 4:30pm. Exam Saturday, May 4th 2019 at 9:30am. Taught by IWEG's WSET Certified Lead Sake Educator, Michael Tremblay. Prerequisite: Level 1 Award in Sake strongly recommended. The program includes a class visit & tasting at the Ontario Spring Water Sake Company (makers of the popular Izumi brand) date tbd. Students will tour Ontario’s first and only sake brewery and have a Q&A session with Sake Brewmaster Greg Newton.