Taking The Mystery Out Of Wine May. 28, 2020« Back to News
What's it like to study online with WSET?
Discover what it's like to learn with WSET's Online Classroom
While the current crisis has naturally put online learning opportunities front-of-mind, WSET's online courses have offered students a flexible approach to their studies for some time. Discover what it's like to learn with WSET's Online Classroom. Find out how.
Take a Virtual Trip to California Wine Country with Zoom Backgrounds
Free images of California wine regions for your meetings and virtual happy hours
The Wine Institute of California is offering background photos for the Zoom video conference service that depict stunning vineyard and winery scenes across the Golden State. Just download the images to your computer and select a California Wine Country backdrop for your next Zoom meeting or happy hour session with family or friends. Backgrounds include iconic views from between the vine rows, sweeping aerial vistas and more. Learn more.
WSET Level 3 Award in Sake
The course will be delivered in an online blended learning format
IWEG is excited to launch the WSET Level 3 Award in Sake Online taught by WSET Certified Sake Educator and Sake Samurai, Michael Tremblay. This advanced level course will be delivered in a blended learning format:
- Six 2-hour synchronous online sessions (live and recorded) on the Zoom platform on Tuesdays, June 9,16, 23 and July 7,14, 21 at 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
- In-class tasting and exam preparation workshop at IWEG on September 26 at 11 am to 5 pm
- Exam at IWEG on September 27 at 11:30 am
This course provides in-depth understanding of the production methods that affect sake style, quality and price. It develops systematic tasting and description skills, as well as the ability to make recommendations. You will:
- Explore in detail the techniques employed in sake production
- Understand how these techniques affect sake style and quality
- Experience a range of principal and specialty types of sake, evaluating quality, identity and price, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT) during the tasting and exam preparation workshop.
- Appreciate the historic and current cultural and commercial significance of sake in Japan and in export markets
- Assess and describe sake with confidence, and be able to make selection, storage and service suggestions
3 Alcoholic Beverages Magazines Worth Checking
Online and print reading ideas
Whether you're sitting by a pool or relaxing on the patio, here are three magazines worth flipping through:
Noble Rot is a quarterly print magazine that joins the dots between wine, music and food. They tell stories and inspire people to enjoy what they drink, eat and listen to.
PUNCH is a James Beard Award-winning online magazine focused on narrative journalism—both written and visual—about wine, spirits, beer and cocktails.
Saveur is a gourmet, food, wine, and travel online and print magazine that specializes in essays about various world cuisines.
WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
Date: Monday, June 29th - Sunday, July 26th
Date: Monday, July 20th - Sunday, August 16th
NEW - WSET Level 1 Award in Sake
Date: Monday, June 22nd - Sunday, July 19
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines
Date: Monday, June 22nd - Sunday, July 26th
Date: Monday, July 6th - Sunday, August 9th
WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits
Date: Monday, June 29th - Sunday, August 2nd
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines
Date: Monday, June 22nd - Sunday, August 23rd
Exam will be @ IWEG in Toronto on Tuesday, August 25th at 10:30 am.
Date: Monday, July 6th - Sunday, September 6th
Exam will be @ IWEG in Toronto on Tuesday, September 28th at 10:30 am.
NEW - WSET Level 3 Award in Sake via Zoom
Date: Tuesdays, June 9,16, 23 and July 7,14, 21 at 10:30 am - 12:30 pm.
In-class tasting and exam preparation workshop @ IWEG on Saturday, September 26 from 11 am to 5 pm.
Exam will be @ IWEG on September 27 at 11:30 am.